What to pack and what vessel to bring all your crap in. It’s a hot topic for me and my friends right now! I am on a trip to visit my friend in Boston in January, so packing light takes on a different meaning when you are going to the northeast in the winter time. But, I always am up for a good challenge. I have 2 backpacks that I regularly use for travel. I chose my smaller one for this trip. I wanted to see how light I could go.
First of all, the purpose of the trip was to be with my friend. We want to laugh and relax and that is it. No going out to fancy dinners or doing much touristy stuff. So, that eliminated a lot of extra fluff. I needed a couple pairs of pants, some warm shirt options, my exercise clothes, and a few other essentials, like my laptop, sleep mask etc.
Deciding on what shoes to bring caused me the most grief. I had to have shoes that would be appropriate for slushing around in the snow and I had to have shoes that would be acceptable if we were to find ourselves in a nicer environment. I choose sneakers. My running shoes and my black Nike’s that go with everything. I really wanted to bring my cute boots with heels, but they were too bulky and I wanted to really feel what it was like to just bring the basics on this trip. I want to feel uncomfortable and know I will survive. It’s good practice for everyday life. Do more with less! Feel more, live, experience your emotions, I promise it will be ok. Ha!
So here is what I packed. It all fits nicely into my backpack (besides what I am wearing and my coat and scarf) and I still have a lot of room.
- 4 pairs of pants (one pair of jeans, 2 pairs ‘nice’ loungewear sweatpants, one pair of running pants)
- 5 shirts (4 cotton, 1 silk)
- 3 pairs of socks
- 2 pairs of shoes
- Laptop, power wire
- iPhone power wire
- Sleep mask
- Curling iron
- Mini hairbrush
- Hair pick
- 1 scarf
- 1 baseball hat
- 1 stocking hat
- 1 winter coat
- 2 cardigan type sweaters
- 1 flannel pair of PJs
- (1) quart size toiletry bag filled with re-usable 3 oz travel containers of shampoo, conditioner, body oil, hair gel. Travel sized toothpaste, lipstick, toothbrush, deodorant
- (1) makeup bag with mascara, eyeshadow, blush, eyeliner, powder, blush brush, powder brush, concealer, and pore minimizer
- I also choose to go with cute trendy fanny pack than to carry a purse. Inside my fanny pack are my driver’s license, 1 credit card, 1 debit card, lipgloss, earphones, iPhone, car keys, and a tiny bag of almonds and walnuts
- (1) water bottle
That list seems like a lot, and I’m sure I could get it down even more*, but I feel pretty comfortable with it and the backpack is not heavy at all.
Love this? Hate this? Let me know!
*Update- I used everything that I packed except for the baseball hat!