You can easily make a healthy chicken salad at home without all the heavy mayo traditional recipes call for. Lately, I have substituted Greek yogurt in most recipes that call for mayo. Whipping a ripe avocado into the Greek yogurt gives the dressing that creaminess and consistency that you want for a chicken salad.
Clean Avocado Chicken Salad
- 2 large cooked chicken breasts, diced into bite size pieces (I used leftover roasted chicken, about 2 cups)
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup red grapes, halved or quartered
- 1 jalepeño, finely diced (I removed half the seeds to control the heat)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1 T Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
Chop the chicken, celery, grapes, cilantro, jalepeño, and place into mixing bowl. Remove skin and seed from avocado and place in small bowl, add the Greek yogurt, apple cider vinegar, honey, salt, and pepper. Mash up the avocado into the rest of the ingredients with a fork until nicely combined. Then, whisk the mixture until it is light and creamy with as little lumps of avocado as possible.
Add the avocado mixture to the bowl with the chicken and mix everything well.
I love eating this with some whole grain crispy crackers or on top of some mixed greens!